Disclosure: I was compensated by Simple Mills for my time to write this post. Recommendations and opinion are my own.
We all love waffles and pancakes, but have you tried a savory waffle? If you’re looking for a new spin on your traditional waffles, save the syrup and berries for another time and try this savory mix of vegetables, herbs and cheese, instead. Sounds a bit different – and they are – but they’re easy and delicious and can even be made ahead, making a weekend-style breakfast possible even on your busiest mornings.
Veggies For Breakfast Never Tasted So Good
Preparing nutrient-rich meals can oftentimes be tricky for everyday life. That’s why I love helpful shortcuts like using whole food baking mixes such as Simple Mills. The folks at Simple Mills are passionate about providing you with
natural products that are simple to make, good for you, and taste absolutely amazing.
All of Simple Mills mixes are almond flour based, making them naturally gluten-free. The Simple Mills Pancake and Waffle Mix is simple and healthy, made with 7 simple ingredients and delivers 6 grams of protein per serving. It makes for a satisfying start to your weekday breakfast on-the-go or a delightful addition for a weekend brunch or entertaining.
Adding sautéed veggies to your basic pancake or waffle batter first thing in the morning can help you reach the recommended 2 1/2 cups per day and jump start your day with a boost of nutrients. This recipe combines broccoli, onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, and scallions with aged cheddar cheese, and eggs cooked into a grain-free waffle. Modify the recipe below to your preferences.
- 1½ cups Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Almond Flour Mix
- 3 whole eggs
- ½ cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets, finely chopped
- ⅔ cup diced onion
- ⅔ cup diced mushrooms
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons scallions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (optional)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large sauté pan with a little olive oil over medium heat and add all chopped vegetables and thyme. Stir until they begin to soften, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and oil. Add waffle mix and combine until a batter is formed. Fold in sautéed vegetables and shredded cheese.
- Pour batter into heated waffle iron and cook waffles following manufacturer’s directions.
Serve your waffles with an egg, avocado and fresh fruit pairings. Dip them in soft butter, sour cream or Greek yogurt. If you’re dragging in the morning, try topping your waffle with your favorite spicy sauce (and hot coffee or tea helps too!) You can even eat these naked (you know, plain) — they’re that good!
These waffles are sturdy, so they will keep in the fridge overnight or can be wrapped and frozen to be enjoyed later. Reheat under the broiler or in a toaster or toaster oven for a quick and simple on-the-go breakfast option.
Visit the Simple Mills online store to check out other fun mixes, like pizza dough, chocolate chip cookies and Artisan bread mix. Use the discount code SStart16 to save 10% on your Amazon and simplemills.com order today!
Want More Like This?
Sign up for my e-mail list and get my FREE Feel Great Guide and get a handy health and happiness journal and more.