Disclosure: I attended a “sneak peak” event for Zespri SunGold kiwifruit at Ketchum’s D.C. offices on May 19, 2015. I work with Zespri on media. I was not compensated to write this blog.
Chances are you have never had a SunGold Kiwifruit from New Zealand. It is a new variety of kiwifruit with a tropical flavor and beautiful yellow color.
Some Things Are Worth Waiting For
It took Zespri 10 years to create this unique cultivar. SunGold is finally ready for the U.S. (ask for it in stores if you don’t see it by June!)
Top 5 Reasons You Will Love Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit
1. VITAMIN C!!! SunGold kiwifruit has twice as much vitamin C than oranges. In fact, just one SunGold kiwifruit has your entire days worth of vitamin C! Try topping pancakes with diced SunGold and green kiwifruit mixed with a maple syrup for a dose of immune boosting vitamin C in the morning. Find the full recipe here! No pancakes? No problem. Add kiwifruit to any breakfast.
2. As Much Potassium as a Banana Take a break from bananas without missing out on your daily potassium. Blend it in a smoothie to help replenish electrolytes lost during exercise.
3. Helps Maintain Blood Sugar Levels A study compared blood sugar levels when eating cereal compared to cereal plus kiwifruit. Even though it tastes sweet, pairing cereal with kiwifruit was shown to keep blood sugar levels from spiking and prevented crashes later on. Add to that the fact that people felt fuller longer, and I was convinced! More details about kiwifruit and blood sugar can be found here.
4. Better Skin! In addition to vitamin C which helps build the collagen that improves skin’s elasticity and firmness, kiwifruit are loaded with vitamin E and other antioxidants to prevent skin damage and wrinkles! You can get these benefit from eating kiwifruit but I say, try using the skins as a facial rub. I can’t say for sure that it will work, but it will leave your skin feeling refreshed and who doesn’t enjoy a little pamper time!
5. The Taste! Isn’t it great when something that tastes SOOO good is this good for you! SunGold is sweeter than a green kiwifruit but still delivers the refreshing tartness I love. AND the skin is smooth and easy to eat, unlike its green sister, which meant that I could bite right in!
Try this sweet and nutty Black Rice Salad with Kiwifruit and Cashews and for other great recipe ideas check out www.Zesprikiwi.com.
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 1/2 cups cooked and cooled black or brown rice
2 Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
1 cup quartered strawberries
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
1/3 cup salted cashew pieces
In small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic. In large bowl, stir dressing into rice. Stir in remaining ingredients except cashews. Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cashews just before serving.
6 (3/4-cup) servings
*1 cup uncooked black rice yields 2 1/2 cups cooked rice.
Recipe tip: A serrated peeler works best for peeling kiwifruit.
Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80), Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 270mg, Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 3g, Sugars 7g), Protein 4g; % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 80%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%.