Chinese food has always been one of my favorites! While takeout is easy, it’s not always healthy. Recently, I’ve been on the hunt to create a healthy alternative to a family favorite general tso’s chicken dish.
I wanted to find a way to pack in all of the flavor of this meal, while reducing the excessive amount of fat sodium that oftentimes comes in the fried takeout version. I was also looking for a way to increase the vegetables and make the recipe just as easy as ordering takeout.
Slow Cooker Meals – You can’t beat a dinner that cooks itself!
I’m sure that the recipe below has done the trick. It’s delicious, good-for-you, and super easy in the slow cooker. If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can do it as a stir fry on the stove.
This meal is inexpensive to make too. On average, the meal is $13 and serves four! That’s about the price of one dinner size takeout. Try it with the family or serve at your next party.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed and/or breasts cut into 1- inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, honey or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried ginger
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium Soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets (or frozen vegetables such as asparagus spears, carrots, cauliflower) or 2 cups fresh vegetables
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (this is pretty mild and OK for children reduce amount if you don’t like it quite as spicy)
- In a large bowl toss the chicken pieces with the garlic, sugar, ginger, Soy sauce, onion, bell pepper and red pepper flakes. Then, pour it all into a 4-quart slow-cooker, including any of the drippings and leftover sauce from the mixing bowl.
- Turn the slow-cooker to low and cook for 5 hours. Then, add the broccoli (or your selected frozen vegetables) and turn the slow-cooker to high and cook for an additional hour. Serve over brown rice and top with chopped scallions. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information (Per Serving):
- Calories: 229
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 91 mg
- Sodium: 523 mg
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 11.5g
- Protein: 21g
- Calcium: 52mg
Note: Nutritional analysis is for general tso’s chicken alone and does not include white or brown rice with chopped scallions.